In 2006, Sir Nicolas Stern completed a highly influential review of the economics of climate change for the UK government. His report confirmed that the balance of evidence shows that climate change is already having a global impact:
• Greenhouse gas emissions have already increased global temperatures by half a degree Celsius, as the level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has risen from the equivalent of 280 parts per million (ppm) of carbon dioxide before the industrial revolution to the equivalent of 430 ppm today.
• If no action is taken on reducing emissions, there is more than a 75 per cent chance of global temperatures rising between 2ºC and 3ºC over the next 50 years and there is a 50 per cent chance that average global temperatures could rise by 5ºC.
Stern reviewed the likely environmental impacts of such a climate change:
• Ecosystems will be particularly vulnerable, with 15–40 per cent of species potentially facing extinction (after a warming of only 2ºC).
• Melting glaciers will first lead to increased flood risks, and then to strongly reduced water supplies, threatening one-sixth of the world’s population.
• Declining crop yields, especially in Africa, could leave hundreds of millions without the ability to produce or purchase sufficient food.
• Rising sea levels could leave 200 million people permanently displaced by 2050, while extreme weather patterns will threaten many millions more.
• In a business-as-usual scenario (where we continue with current rates of growth in emissions and no action is taken to reduce them), the likely economic impacts of climate change would result in a decrease in global consumption of 5–20 per cent, with a disproportionate share of the impacts falling on the world’s poorest regions.
We now face two major problems with the use of fossil fuels as sources of energy. The first is that the combustion of fossil fuels is polluting the atmosphere with carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, leading to global climate change. The second problem relates to energy security, where for a variety of reasons the security of the supply of fossil fuels is a concern in many countries. During 2008 oil reached record-breaking high prices, and the cost of fossil fuels is increasingly a concern.
Our company is a system integrator in the field of renewable energy. Our team is there for you to tailor your energy needs (from hot water and electricity) to your home, your factory, your hotel or your compound by using natural, Green and renewable sources of energy (sun, wind, waves and more) that best suit your application and your budget.
“Our hunger for energy is increasing day by day and therefore more CO2 emission and more damage to our grateful planet earth…the least we can do to save our environment is to be positive and proactive in relying on God’s renewable energy (sun, wind, waves, and more natural forces) instead of harmful sources (petrol, gas and the like) to generate our never ending need of energy”
Amr ELHUSSEINI, Founder & MD
Cleaner environment to our kids using smart renewable energy solutions meeting your energy needs